Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Most Beautiful Words

I was enthralled with alphadictionary's 100 most beautiful words. Dr. Beard's new book takes us through each one and provides some interesting perspectives about its word etymology and meanings. From his list of 100 I selected ten of my favourite. They all have alluring sounds and interesting connotations.

- bucolic- in a lovely rural setting
- diaphanous- filmy
- dulcet- sweet, sugary
- ebullience- bubbling enthusiasm
- elixer- a promising potion
- ephemeral- short lived
- evocative- suggestive
- gossamer- finest piece of thread
- harbinger- messenger with news of future
- mellifluous- sweet sounding

Do you have a favourite from his list?

I am going through the dictionary at 365 Word Quest and providing a word a day. I'm at #370: druid. You are welcome to subscribe and receive a daily word fix.