Friday, August 3, 2012

Ego is Not You

Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called 'Ego'.   - Friedrich Nietzsche

If being an egomaniac means I believe in what I do and in my art or music, then in that respect you can call me that... I believe in what I do, and I'll say it.  ~ John Lennon


Make your ego porous. Will is of little importance, complaining is nothing, fame is nothing. Openness, patience, receptivity, solitude is everything.  ~ Ranier Maria Rilke


The most common ego identifications have to do with possessions, the work you do, social status and recognition, knowledge and education, physical appearance, special abilities, relationships, person and family history, belief systems, and often nationalistic, racial, religious, and other collective identifications. None of these is you.  ~ Eckhart Tolle